Three Boys and Counting

Just another weblog

We had one of those days October 21, 2009

Filed under: Just Life — threeboysandcounting @ 2:22 pm

A couple of days ago we had “one of those days”.  It wasn’t any one bad thing in particular, but it was just a variety of random occurrences that happened all on one day…the kind that make you feel glad when you finally crawl into bed for the night.

That morning, I had my first experience of leaving a child behind, so to speak.  I have feared this moment since Harper was born. Oftentimes I take a panicky glance in my rearview mirror when we are halfway to our destination just to be sure I did in fact put Harper’s carseat into the car, and that the other 2 are both in the back seat.  Well, that morning, upon arriving home from picking up Lucas at preschool, I pulled into the driveway and turned off the car. It was a 2 trips to the door type of arrival. I carried bags, McDonalds, purse, keys into the house first.  Then I came back out and began my favorite task of all (NOT)–getting everyone out of their carseats and headed toward the house.  I got everyone in (or so I thought) and shut the front door. I put Harper into his highchair and got Lucas settled in at the table with his lunch. I put Avery’s lunch on the table and then called him to the table, assuming he was off playing superheroes or some other such thing.  He did not come. I asked Lucas where his brother was, really how far could he be…down the hall?!?!  Lucas said he had no idea where Avery was.  I quickly realized that perhaps Avery had not followed us into the house afterall so I hurriedly opened the front door to find Avery standing on the step about to burst into tears.  Poor thing! All was well though, he wasn’t in the street or out wandering the neighborhood. Still, I felt terrible!

Not but a couple of hours later I was changing Harper’s diaper and realized he had been wearing the same pair of socks for 2 days straight. I know *GASP*.  He is a third child afterall.  I took them  off, knowing that they were a little snug so that must feel good to get those off those chubby ankles.  Underneath those socks though was a horrendous red line going across his ankles.  Those socks were obviously WAY tighter on him than I had realized.  Crazy that he never acted uncomfortable.  We are talking a serious red line on both feet….as in the circulation had to have been close to being compromised.  In fact, 3 days later he still has a mark across his ankles. It is fortunately improving. However, I feel AWFUL.

By around 10pm that night I thought I was finally home free.  No other “bad’ things could happen.  Right before bed I came back out to the kitchen to do something random like get a drink of milk or something. I took one step out of my bedroom and was greeted with the HORRIBLE smell! I asked my husband what it was and he said he thought it was whatever it was I was cooking overnight in the crockpots. I said no, my cooking is better than that! Still, I wondered if one of the crockpots was burning or broken or something, but they both checked out fine. The smell was clearly coming from the kitchen.  I sniffed around for awhile and narrowed it down to the dishwasher. I opened it up and was greeted with all sorts of steam and stink!  At the bottom of the dishwasher, lying directly on the heat element was a lid to my husband’s cheapo pharmaceutical company freebie coffee mug.  Just burning away…mmmmm the smell of burnt rubber and plastic.  So, when I finally was able to climb into bed for the night, I had the pleasure of being lulled to sleep by a lovely stench. Thank goodness that day is over!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s